But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart
Luke 2:19 NIV
I think this song is one of the most fascinating christmas songs ever. There are more than 10 very intriguing questions posed to Mary in the song. Let’s look at them:
- 1. Mary did you know that your baby boy would some day walk on water?
2. Mary did you know that your baby boy would save our sons and daughters?
3. Did you know that your baby boy has come to make you new?
4. This child that you’ve delivered, will soon deliver you.
- 5. Mary did you know that your baby boy would give sight to a blind man?
6. Mary did you know that your baby boy would calm a storm with his hand?
7. Did you know that your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
8. And when your kiss your little baby, you have kissed the face of God.
- 9. Mary did you know that your baby boy is Lord of all creation?
10. Mary did you know that your baby boy would one day rule the nations?
11. Did you know that your baby boy is heaven’s perfect Lamb?
12. This sleeping child you’re holding is the great I am
Did Mary have any idea, any revelation about what she was dealing with? First of all, I don’t think that Mark Lowry has any doubt that Mary had an understanding of all these things. I think he is in awe of the fact that a simple virgin girl could be given such an awesome responsibility of bringing into the world the One who would bring salvation – even to herself.
Mary wondered and pondered not because she didn’t understand these things when she asked the question – “how can this be?” But because she felt that she was just a humble child – how can God choose her?
I guess the lesson here is that God can use you too. And if He ever does, your attitude must be like that of Mary’s – humble, grateful, faithful.
In closing, I think one of the things that really informed Mary about the Son she would bare is not only her understanding from scripture about the promised Messiah, her encounter with this angel telling her what was about to take place in her life, but the fact that God said that she was going to have a baby and she actually did. That alone was enough to inform her that this child was no ordinary child – he was Immanuel God with us – and he could do anything. That is why Mary told the people at the wedding banquet in John 2:5-8 to -
Do whatever he tells you to do…
She knew that her kid was not only God – but that he could anything.