Comments 51

God doesn’t call the qualified, He qualifies the called!

call to freedom the_wide_t_nt Isaac was a day dreamer, Jacob was a cheater, Peter had a temper and denied Christ, David had an affair and tried to cover it up with murder, Noah got drunk. Elisha was suicidal, Jonah ran from God, Paul was a murderer and he was way too religious.

Timothy had too many ulcers, Gideon was insecure, Miriam was a gossiper, Martha was a worrier, Thomas was a doubter, Sara was impatient, Elijah was moody, Rehab was a prostitute, Samson – he liked prostitute. Isaiah preached naked for three years, John the Baptist ate bugs and had second thoughts about the very Messiah he baptized.

Jeremiah was way too emotional, Moses stuttered, Zacchaeus was too short, Abraham was old and Lazarus was dead. God doesn’t call the qualified, He qualifies the called!

I picked this up from a friend’s Facebook status. I don’t know if it is his original stuff, but it sure got my attention.

Never say to yourself, “God can never use me.” God is not looking for the qualified, he’s looking for people who would just avail themselves to him. When Jesus called the 12, most of them were not even educated. Yet, Jesus equipped them and they turned the world upside down.

When Paul wrote to the Corinthians, he told them: “not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth.” But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are.

Those whom God calls, He equips.

This entry was posted in: Miinistry

There are three things I think about every moment of everyday... they consume me deeply. How to: 1. Refine my theological understanding 2. sharpen my ethical rigor 3. and heighten my devotional intensity. These are the things I write about. Welcome you to my blog... Join me on this incredible journey of exploration and discovery of all the things God has in store for His children. Join by following or subscribing. I appreciate your thoughts, comments and friendship. Walter

1. And this feels like Eureka!
    I just read the book of Acts 4 and vs 13 got me thinking along these lines. The High priests and Pharisees perceived that Peter and John were unlearned and ignorant, but they were amazed all the same. Why? They recognised that they had been with Jesus. Now that made me smile. It wasn’t about how equipped they were to preach the gospel among learned, well travelled scholars. It was they made themselves available to be used and God transformed them into a force to be reckoned with. Now that’s some wonder working power manifesting.
    Like you said, God qualifies the call. We just have to be available.

2. mrsmariposa2014 says

That is why I love the Bible so. It is chockful of people as imperfect as me that God found a perfect use for. :)

Liked by 1 person

3. Reblogged this on My Soapbox and commented:
    What wonderful article! Very well written and speaks directly to the heart of every man and woman who have a hear after God s[eaks directly to the hearts of everyone that reads kit! Thank you to Walter Bright for putting tho out thrttr got adz@

Liked by 1 person

4. Mary udomba says

I’m blessed n i believe if i make myself available God will use me

5. This was a reassuring post, so Timothy had ulcers, same as me(just one though) my pancreas is terrible and my stomach today is in terrible pain. So God chose not the wise like me. Hope he sure is looking out for me these days, don´t want to go back to the hospital.
    Reassuring post.

• Hey Charly, lots of prayers coming your way. I pray that look forward to celebrating Psalm 103, where it says we should bless the Lord for He heals our diseases. I hope you don’t have to go back to the hospital.

In any event, I am glad that you were encouraged by the post. God loves you very very much! Stay blessed!

6. cate says

This is a quote by Christine Caine, she wrote it in her book Undaunted. Brilliant.

7. Reblogged this on A Christian Warrior and commented:
    This is so true, God called me and has equipped me each day since.
    I am not perfect and just like many of those He has called not sure that I can do what he wants me to do. My health is bad and I struggle to manage day by day.
    However He always comes through for me giving me all that I need for each situation.

8. ha! i blogged about this very concept…it was called “denser alloy: equipped for your calling…you’d have to see the movie iRobot to really get it, altho i give a synopsis…point is, God gives us JUST what we need to accomplish the specific purpose He has for us. yes and amen. glad to find other perspectives on the same topics, even :)

9. I love this passage, especially “Lazarus was dead!” Thanks for liking my post “Breaking down the Barriers of Compartmental Christianity.”

10. Pingback: “God Doesn’t Call The Qualified, He Qualifies The Called” | Getting Closer to Our God

11. Pingback: Being Appreciated | MylaUpshaw.com

12. Precisely what my Pastor was teaching in the services yesterday! Takes off me the pressure to perform and lets me step out in obedience when not doing it in my own strength.

13. ABSOLUTELY!! THIS is why “He doesn’t give you more than you can handle” is a fallacy. This claim predisposes worthy strength in us. But Scripture is clear: we are HELPLESS for anything good, in our depravity. THAT is why we needed nothing less than the perfect life and brutal death of Jesus to redeem us. HE gives strength commensurate to the task. Thanks for the likes, and for reading my Calling post, WB. Blessings.

14. So very true!!!
    I wonder what He is up to with this computer illiterate grandmother?????
    May he get all the glory!

• there is still a lot of ministry in you. I believe that “your latter will be greater than your former” snot to sound too preachy… scripture says that in the last days our grandmothers (older women and men) will dream dreams. God is not done with your yet. maybe one of those awesome grandchildren can show you a thing or two about computers and you will be on you way to doing great things. I wish you the best. By the way, you are already doing great things with your blog.

15. Pingback: The far from perfect people in the Bible | Churchmouse Campanologist

16. Allan Sagila says

very true, God’s way of dealing with us isn’t the same as how the world deals with us. thanks for that message…

17. Nell says

Thankfully God looks at what is in our hearts and not what is in our heads. I recall an evening service where I saw nothing special about the attendees. All electricity failed and it was totally dark. One lady sang a beautiful hymn in that darkness and made me realize that God looked on her beautiful spirit. Would that we could look at character rather than that “outward appearance..”May my inner person grow better..I wish to please Him. Thank you Walter for making me look inward.

• hey Joseyphin, good to hear from you… I am glad to know that you’ve been blessed. Thanks for reading and commenting. Stay blessed!

18. teresitapalos says

And I’m ever His lazy, irascible warrior! I’m so glad to be reminded that Jesus will qualify me for His purpose.