Now therefore, give me this mountain
of which the LORD spoke in that day; for you heard in that day how the Anakim
were there, and that the cities were great and fortified. It may be that the
LORD will be with me, and I shall be able
to drive them out as the LORD said.
This is a story we are all very familiar with… the story of the children of Israel before they actually entered the promise land. In the text above, Caleb comes to Joshua and reminds him of things that happened about 45 years earlier when God told them to enter the promise land. He (Caleb) and Joshua were two of the few that went up to explore the promised land and actually returned with great news and faith – that even though there were giants in the land, they were going to stand on the promises of God – that every piece of land they walked on shall be theirs.
Well, we know that some of the other guys came back with a different report. One that questioned the power and authority of God and His ability to deliver on his promises. But not Caleb… at age 85 he comes to Joshua and tells him – listen – I still believe God – he is the same yesterday, today, and forever. All his promises are yes and the amen (so be it ) is said to the glory of His name. So “give me this mountain.” It is mine! I can still defeat these Anakims – for with God I can do exploits – I can scale a wall – I can move mountains.
The point I getting at here is the unwavering trust and faith that Caleb has in the promise of God. That when we trust him to deliver on his promise he always does. So, today, if God told you anything – specifically from his word or through a whisper in your heart, stand on that promise. Even though the promise has not happened yet, wait for it, for it shall surely come to pass. Maybe you are believing Him for a child, trust him, maybe for healing – trust him, maybe for a job, trust him, maybe for ministry opportunities or growth – trust him today!
Stand on the Promises
As you well know, there are 3573 Promises in the Bible. If we started to name them here it is going to take us a long time to complete. Here are a few you can stand on today! Meditate on them – pray over them…
- Divine Nature/2 Peter 1:4/ By which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.
- Rest/Matthew 11:28, 29/ Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
- Provision/Phil. 4:19/ And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
- Victory/Romans 8:37-39/ No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord
- Guidance to an expected end/ Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
- Eternal Life/Romans 6:23/ For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Security/Proverbs 1:23/ But whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.”
- Peace/John 14:27/ Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
- The Holy Spirit’s Power/ Acts 1:8/ But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
- Healing/Isaiah 53:5/ But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed
- Endurance/Isaiah 40:31/ But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk…
- Ever Abiding Presence/Matthew 28:20/ …I am with you always, even to the end of the age…