“Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from harm so that it might not bring me pain!” And God granted what he asked.
PART III: A PRAYER FOR POWER
1 Chronicles 4:10
Here is what we talked about in the last two posts:
- A prayer for success – May the Lord bless you – prosper you, elevate you, promote you, lift you, (indeed – significant, greatly, big, out of the ordinary)
- A prayer for influence – May the Lord enlarge your territory – progressive growth, enlarge what I have and what I am, beyond my comfort zone, step out
- Today, we will write about “A Prayer for Power” – May the Lord’s hand be upon me: open hands, favor, anointing, grace, open-doors, the touch of God, to bless everything you touch.
I believe you can agree with me that without God we are and can do nothing. We are powerless – He is powerful. In fact, the bible say that “His power shows up best when we are weak” (2 Cor. 12:9). This is exactly what Jabez recognized when he prayed this prayer – “that your hand might be upon me” and the bible say – “God granted his request.”
He recognized his incompetence. How on many occasions he had try to do things his way and in his own strength, only to find out that his best efforts were simply not good enough. I think this is one of the things that “set Jabez apart and made him
… more honorable than his brothers… see verse 9
Jabez understood this profoundly – that humility is the key to receiving from God. The bible says that “the arm of flesh will alway fail us”, but, ” if we trust in the Lord with all our heart he will direct our paths” (2 Chron. 32:8; Prov. 3:5-7). Here are a few examples of people who experienced the hand of God on their lives. They didn’t rely on their own strength. Notice what God accomplished in and through them:
for the good hand of his God was on him. Ezra 7:28
I took courage, for the hand of the Lord my God was on me. Ezra 8:18
And by the good hand of our God on us. Ezra 8:22
the hand of our God is for good on all who seek him. Ezra 8:31
the hand of our God was on us. Nehemiah 2:8
the good hand of my God was upon me. Nehemiah 2:18
the hand of my God that had been upon me for good. Ezra 5:5
Reasons for wanting the hand of God on your life:
- When God’s hand is upon you – everything you touch prospers.
- When God’s hand is upon you – even your enemies will be at peace with you.
- When God’s hand is upon your life – you can advance against a troop or even scale a wall.
- When God’s hand is upon you – He makes ministry easy, effective and powerful.
- When God’s hand is upon you – no weapon fashion or formed against you prosper.
- When the hand of God is upon you – Isaiah 61 is more than possible.
- When God’s hand is upon you – you can do more for Him than in your own power.
- When God’s hand is upon you – you will notice the difference he makes.
Humble yourself before the Lord
Every believer should long to humbled themselves under the “mighty hand of God” – because that’s where things happen. This prayer does not have some hidden, secret formula like some have claimed. That if you pray it in a certain way you can get results. This prayer is a profound realization of who we are – compared to WHO HE IS. The only thing special about the prayer of Jabez is that Jabez himself realized that he was not the man of the show – that God was! If we can only recognize this – it will change us forever.
That’s the place Jabez discovered and it changed his life forever. The Lord’s hand was upon him – an opened hand, a hand of favor, an anointing, sufficient grace, open-doors and a hand to bless everything he touched. You can discover that place today!
Allow me to leave you with three more passages from the word of God: James 4:6, 10; 1 Peter 5:6
God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble… Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you… Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you