Part 3: The Power of Promise
Definition of PROMISE
– a declaration that one will do or refrain from doing something specified b:
a legally binding
declaration that gives the person to whom it is made a right to expect or to claim the performance or forbearance of a specified act
– reason to expect something <little promise of relief>; especially: ground for expectation of success, improvement, or excellence considerable promise>
A good example of the power of promise is the lure of my two girls in making me promise to do somethings for them. Usually when they want something for christmas or a birthday or just anything they really want – they come up with a brilliant idea. I think it is a sign of how intelligent and smart they are. After asking for what ever they want – they than follow-up with a very important question – do you promise? Trust me – they never let go unless the question is followed by an absolute ‘yes’. What are they looking for? They are looking for something to bind me to my word. Why? Because a promise is binding. It is almost like a covenant and it carries legal implications.
- We elect people to political office just on the power of promise
- Marriages are held together just on the power of promise
- People purchase appliances just on the power of promise… they say things like “100% guarantee… you will never have to buy another one for life…” Sometimes they are right – sometimes they are lying…
A guarantee is a contract that makes certain promises. Of course, these promises are only as good as the people making them.
Hebrews 10:23 “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.” – Hebrews 10:23 NIV
Promise is a cause or ground for hope.
A promise from God is a statement we can depend on with absolute confidence. Here are 12 promises for the Christian to claim.
The Promise of Salvation
The Promise of Healing
The Promise of Rest
The Promise of guidance
The promise of peace
The Promise of Hope
The Promise of Protection
What happens when God makes you a promise:
when God makes a promise:
- he intends to keep that promise – he is not a man to lie… Numbers 23:19
- he appoints a time to perform that promise – he is watching over his word to perform it… Jeremiah 1:12
- faith is the divinely appointed means for a miracle… Matthew 9:22;