Catch the Foxes: Protecting the Marriage Vineyard
Foxes are pests that wreak havoc in vineyards (e.g., they will eat the grapes). Although the vineyard has been associated with the appearance of the woman (1:6), here it is described as our vineyards and thus refers to their relationship. The foxes represent some hindrances that are threatening to spoil their relationship
In this series we will identify things in our relationship with our spouse that simply destroy the relationship and wreak havoc to the marriage. Here are a few things I can think of:
- Secrets. Some couples have secret bank accounts, have a password on their phone, email and social network sites to keep their partners out of their business. Here is a great advice… do not keep secrets it will hurt your relationship.
- Lies. Some couples lie to each other about everything. The lie about where they’ve been, who they were talking with on the phone or why they were late coming home. Tell the truth to one another. Even if the thing is shameful – come clean.
- Strife. There is sometimes constant quarrelling, bickering and fighting in the life of a husband and wife. Sometimes they fight about nothing. Be patient with one another, be slow to speak and quick to listen.
- Bitterness. Allowing hurts and pain of the past to damage your relationship. Not dealing with problems properly for healing and forgiveness to take effect. Tackle problems head on.
- Un-forgiveness. Unwilling to let go of past offenses. Don’t let the sun go down on your wrath. Address issues promptly.
- Resentment. Feel and express annoyance and ill will.
- Having and hanging with friends that your partner is not friends with.
- Arguments over money. This a big one!
- Sex, no sex, insufficient sex, unsatisfactory sex
- Entertainment. Be it tv shows, or movies to watch, or places to visit, there is constant disagreement about what to watch or where to go.
Join the conversation… add to the list and tell us how a couple can overcome these problems… thanks for sharing!