The First Blesses the Rest
“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”
- Seek life first… “life is more than food and drink.” Life is knowing God and being known by him. Chase after things that are lasting and most valuable.
- Seek faith first… “oh ye of little faith.” Without faith it is impossible to please him. Faith helps us put things – suffering, pain and eternity into perspective. It helps us navigate our way through this life.
- Seek reason first – “consider the Lilies, birds, grass lives grass dies.” Think it over with him. He tells us to come and reason with him about his love, care and generosity. God is not threatened by doubters, independent or critical thinking. He lays out a compelling case here – don’t you think?
- Seek understanding first… “you are more valuable, God knows what you need.” God is not like a cloak maker who makes his cloaks and leaves them to run and function on their own. He wants to be involved in your daily life. He knows you. He knows your name and where you live.
- Seek assurance first… “do not be anxious.” Do not be anxious about anything but through prayer and supplication make your request to him. God wants us to rest assure that He’s got our backs.
- Seek kingdom first… Don’t just make Him savior – make Him Lord as well. Let Him permeate every part of your life – not just some. He will not settle for second place in your life.
- Seek righteousness first… righteousness exalts a nation. By it, your prayers become more effective. And it is of great value if not for this life; for the life to come.
Never forget that “the first always blesses the rest” God says, when you put me first – all things will be added unto you. That is a great promise to stand today.