He’s got gold in mind
Job 23:1; 9, 10 My hand is heavy on account of my groaning. Oh, that I knew where I might find him, that I might come even to his seat! on the left hand when he is working, I do not behold him; he turns to the right hand, but I do not see him. But he knows the way that I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold.
The first thing you need to understand is that God understands
You may not see him, find him, understand what you are going through or how to come out of it. You may not even know of what good or use you will be, after all is said and done. But:
- He knows what You are going through
- He know where You are
- He has a plan, a purpose for you in this thing
- He’s bringing out GOLD in you
He’s there in the every day and the mundane
Ecclesiastes 2:24 So I decided there is nothing better than to enjoy food and drink and to find satisfaction in work. Then I realized that these pleasures are from the hand of God. For who can eat or enjoy anything apart from him? God gives wisdom, knowledge, and joy to those who please him.
- God says, not everything is vanity
- God says, there is purpose for your life
- God says you can find satisfaction, purpose, and meaning in your work. No matter how menial you might think it is. He says, you can actually find enjoyment in the things that are important: work, family, friends
- He has given us everything for our enjoyment – 1 Timothy 6:17
Out of the mouths of infants
Psalm 8:2 Out of the mouths of babes and unweaned infants You have established strength because of Your foes, that You might silence the enemy and the avenger. [Matt. 21:15, 16.]
- Like nothing
Psalm 77:8, 9 Has his steadfast love forever ceased? Are his promises at an end for all time? Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has he in anger shut up his compassion?”
When I focus on my troubles
- My soul refuses to be comforted
- my spirit faints
- I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
The fourth thing you need to understand is when you focus on Him – possibilities are endless. You gain heavenly perspective in your earthly dilemmas.The Psalmist says, “I will bring to remembrance your great deeds. I will remember the deeds of the Lord . I will remember your wonders of old. I will ponder all your work and meditate on your mighty deeds.” What he’s saying is – I’ve seen you do this before, so I will remain confident that you who brought me in will be faithful to bring me out:
- When the waters saw you, they were afraid; indeed, the deep trembled
- Your way was through the sea, your path through the great waters
- yet your footprints were unseen… I may not see you, but I know you are at work
- You led your people like a flock – I am confident you will do the same for me!
Find the answer in the sanctuary
Psalm 73:16, 17 But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, until I went into the sanctuary of God.
The fifth thing you need to understand is the power of coming into his house for:
- inspiration/ instruction/ revelation/ Meditation/ Prayer/ worship/ fellowship
To carry a weight of inner conflict and depression is painful and burdensome. Walking around with a cloud of gloom and doom is not the will of the father for anyone. When God’s people gather for worship and an opportunity to pray for one another and listen to God’s word, He usually shows up. In his house we can find the power to break free from depression.
A Multitude of Counselors
Proverbs 11:14 Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety.
Nothing else and no one else can help the way Jesus can
Matthew 11:28-30 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
To medicate or not to medicate
Luke 5:31 And Jesus answered them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. The Lord's play on words here speaks of Himself as a healer and his acknowledgment of medicine and doctors.
A Journey, not a quick fix
"For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, "Abba! Father!"
"From the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is overwhelmed with anxiety, Lead me to the rock that is higher than I."
Philippians 4:6, 7
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
- Stop “Walking with the Dead” before you go to sleep. Yes, I talking about TV shows and movies like that
- Stop getting wasted just to numb your pain – Yes I am talking about drugs and alcohol
- Stop going to la la land to escape your sorrows – Yes, I am talking about day dreaming and fantasy
- Stop doing nothing – Yes, I am talking about just sitting around doing nothing. Try some exercise
These things just don’t help. Invest your time in prayer, worship, meditation and community.
Momentary struggles vs. Eternal Glory
2 Corinthians 4:17, 18 "For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal."