Is anything too hard for God? At the appointed time I will return to you, about this time next year, and Sarah will have a son. Genesis 18:14
Abraham and his wife, as we know, had no children for a long time. They had longed to have children, But Sarah was barren.
In this chapter, they are old, hopeless, a little bitter toward God. They had waited for a long time in prayer, but nothing yet had moved in their favor. Doubt and disappointment had set in! And instead of focusing on the greatness of God, they made their childless situation greater than God, by focusing on it.
It is in this context that the question God asked Abraham is truly understood.
“Is anything too hard for the Lord?
The announcement of a somewhat miraculous conception for a woman in her old age was ridiculously laughable. So Sarah laughed.
I think, a follow-up question would have put things – a little more in perspective for them: Is anything too hard for God? Haven’t you heard –
- That He makes things out of nothing and calls things that are not as though they are?
- That they that know their God , they shall do exploits?
- That when he opens a door no one can close it. And when he closes a door no one can open it?
- How He raised up A DELIVERER in the Pharaoh’s house?
- That the walls of Jericho fell with a shout?
- That through Him some conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, except the edge of the sword, we’re made strong in weakness, opened barren wombs, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight, and received their dead back by resurrection?
Is there anything too hard for God? Have you not heard of His fame and glorious power? Have you never seen Him in action:
- The heaven melts like wax before Him
- Demons tremble at the mention of His name
- If he is for us who can be against us?
- Those who wait upon Him renews their strength
- He makes a way where there seems to be no way
- He will do what he said he will do
- He sets the lonely in families
- And opens the womb of the barren so that they bear children
Sometime God goes the extra mile to raise the faith level of those lacking in faith.
For when God made a promise to Abraham, since he had no one greater by whom to swear, he swore by himself. Hebrews 6:13
God desires to show more convincingly the unchangeable character of his purpose. For this reason, he guarantees His promise with an oath. So that by two unchangeable things, in which lit is impossible for God, we may find confidence in His promises.
Your situation may look humanly impossible today, but with God, nothing is impossible. So hold on to those promises, because He who spoke them is faithful and more than able to do what He said He will do.